St Andrew’s Cathedral is a neo-perpendicular rectangular plan church, built of cream ashlar sandstone. The parish dates from 1795, in the Calton district. The Calton chapel was built in 1797, when Rev John Farquharson was the priest in charge of Glasgow. It could hold 600 people but it soon became too small. The city offered a site in Kent Street for a new Catholic chapel. However, situated west of the Town’s Hospital, Scott Son and Lawrie’s woodyard in Great Clyde Street was bought, and building of a larger chapel (St Andrew’s) began in June 1814. The priest then in charge was Rev Andrew Scott.
AS PROVIDED ON BUILDINGS FORM