Are you a Former Pupil, local resident or just interested in what Jordanhill School looks like today? Take this virtual tour through both our original red sandstone North Campus and our more recent South Campus with some of our senior pupils – to hear how the school was originally built and has developed over the last 100 years.
Jordanhill School is located in the west of Glasgow on the edge of the former Jordanhill College of Education.
Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh’s design won the competition for the Jordanhill Demonstration School for 800 pupils, in 1912-13. Their three-storey, symmetrical, Edwardian classical design, with classrooms arranged largely on the S. side of a single, long corridor, was probably made by Andrew Graham Henderson, and was published in the Builder in July 1913, alongside H. & D. Barclay’s successful design for the Training College.
Construction started in 1915, interrupted by WW1, and the school opened in 1920. There have been additions and alterations with PE and refectory block being added in 1950’s onwards. Our reception was refurbished in 2013 along with our Main Hall. The Bell Tower was restored to its original colour and glory in 2016.
Most significantly a new teaching block, atrium and landscaped plaza was formed and opened in 2008, known as our South Campus (Elder & Cannon.) This was a RIAS Best Building in Scotland finalist in 2008. It accommodates, maths, art, history, geography, languages and our SWIRE Chinese Language centre.