242 St Vincent Street was built by merchant Robert Blair in 1820 as a private residence, standing alone on the hill of St Vincent Street overlooking the River Clyde in the distance.
When the College moved here in 1862 it adapted existing rooms for its meetings, lectures and demonstrations. In 1893 most of 242 St Vincent Street was extensively remodelled by JJ Burnet, a leading Glasgow architect. Since then the College expanded into the other buildings on the terrace,
gradually adapting them to modern meeting and teaching spaces (for example the Maurice Bloch Lecture Theatre).
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow was founded in 1599. Our
founding members set out to regulate and improve the standards of healthcare in Glasgow
and the West of Scotland.
Today, we remain committed to inspiring, nurturing and supporting our diverse and
inclusive community of over 15,000 members in their quest to deliver the highest possible
standards of care for their patients. Our strong and valued membership community is
enabled by our extensive clinical and non-clinical programme of education, training,
professional development and assessment.
Tours Sunday @ 10am, 10:30am, 11am, 11:30am, 12pm, 12:30pm, 1pm, 1:30pm, 2pm, 2:30pm, 3pm, 3:30pm
Tour duration: 1 hour