The Royal Faculty of Procurators (or lawyers) in Glasgow has been in existence since before 1668. The building, into which the Faculty and its library moved in 1857, is a two-storeyed building with three façades – designed by the architect Charles Wilson in the style of a Venetian Palazzo. Wilson is also responsible for some of Glasgow’s finest Italianate buildings.
The keystones to the arches, depicting the faces of eminent lawyers, were modelled by Alexander Handyside Ritchie and carved by James Shanks.
There are a number of different rooms within the building including –
the Faculty Hall which has been used for a variety of purposes over the years, including auctions and Royal Faculty lunches.
the Small Library features the “bicentenary window” commissioned from John K. Clark in 1996 and mortification boards around the balcony commemorating bequests to the Royal Faculty’s charitable funds.
The Main Library which was described in the Glasgow Herald of 12 June 1857 as “one of the most exquisite halls in the West of Scotland”. Nine busts of notable legal figures and former members of the Faculty add character to the library.
The building houses an extremely important collection of legal texts and is still used as a working space by solicitors and advocates, consequently, it is usually only open to members.
Please note that, 25 people will be admitted to the building at any time.
The Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow is a members’ organisation for lawyers in Glasgow and has deep roots in the history of Glasgow. It’s earliest records date from 1668 but it was certainly in existence long before that. Today it provides a range of services to the legal profession in Glasgow and the surrounding area.
Open Saturday @ 12pm till 4pm – No booking necessary